When I was little I longed for a playhouse. Like most kids, I coveted pictures of treehouses and clubhouses where we could post signs like, “No boys allowed”. The best I could do back then was a couple of old doors propped in the corner of the fence with an old burlap feed sack hung across the end as a door and an old piece of tin for a roof. I even dug the floor out to make it where I could (sort of) stand up inside. The idea of digging it out suited me, as one of my favorite books of the time was “Harvey’s Hideout”. Heck, I would even let my little sister, Angel, join me every one in awhile, ala Harvey. (She liked the book, too.) That little girl inside of me still wants a playhouse/clubhouse/hideout…now I call it a workshop. So, yesterday, this arrived.
The floor looked like this…
There was a nail in the floor that wasn’t driven completely in, so I had to pull that out, swept the floor, then stirred up some good oil-based floor paint (I used Valspar, as I am finding these days the phrase, “you get what you pay for” to be especially true of paint), dumped some out on the floor and went to town.
Now the floor looks like this.
I didn’t worry about getting paint on the bottom sill, as I will be putting in insulation and walls, so that will be all covered up. I wanted to do this first, though, in order to protect the floor from getting water or chemical damage as well as to make it easier to keep clean. Watch and see how my project shapes up as I make life DIY!